March OMG: Finally, it’s a Flimsy!

I was so full of enthusiasm and energy when I first started this project, but for some reason I’ve found it really difficult to stay focused and committed to reaching my goal for March.  However, finally – FINALLY! – it’s done:  the last curve has been sewn, the last row of sashing has been attached, and it can legitimately now be classed as a flimsy.  Woohoo!! 🙂  Here’s an overall photo, plus a few close-ups of some of the blocks.

I have to confess to spending some time dipping in and out of other projects during the month, mainly in an effort to encourage my sewing mojo as it sagged and flagged, but also because there were days when I simply wanted to work on something, anything other than the OMG!  And yet, now that I’ve finally got there, I am pleased with how it looks, and even managed to sort out backing and binding fabrics for it this morning (although it’s definitely not going any further than that for at least a couple of months – I need a break from it …).  At present it’s slightly smaller than lap-size, so when I come back to it I may decide to add another (wider) border to bring it up to lap quilt size.  (That depends on how engaged I feel about it at the time.)

For now, I’m going to move on to other things:  I have two circles to complete for my Quilty 365 project for the month, and then it’ll be into my stash to do some fabric stroking and petting and auditioning for a new project – saw a very clear, simple tutorial for a disappearing 4-patch the other day, and also one for a braid quilt, both of which I have not tried so far.  Here’s hoping that April’s project goes more smoothly than March’s did! 🙂

Linking up with Heidi’s OMG linky party here.

OMG button

Advertisements

OMG: March’s Monthly Goal

Decisions, decisions, decisions …  UFO?  WIP??  Something new???  After much cogitation I decided to go with a WIP which I started about six weeks ago, and have been pottering away at between other projects.

My goal for March is to finish cutting these 10″ layer cake squares (I think it was Moda Sticks and Stones, but don’t quote me on that)

DSCF9475 cropped

… into these curved sets …

DSCF9476 cropped

… and then sew them into these curved blocks …

DSCF9478 cropped

… with the aim of finally achieving at least a flimsy by the end of the month.

I’m hand cutting sets of three squares at a time, and trying to use a slightly different curve for each set to give the blocks more variety.  This project is also proving useful in working on my word for 2016, which is ‘Learn’ – I’ve never been brave enough to try sewing anything with curves until now, so this is a ‘two birds with one stone’ project 🙂

I’m tossing up whether or not to use sashing between the blocks, but will decide that once I’ve got them all constructed and laid out.  I have this week at home following a small operation on Friday, so I’m hoping to be able to get some sewing done during my recovery time.  (Happily my son has been able to take some time off work and come down from Wellington to help look after me – lovely to see him again and have him here at such a time.)

Linking up with Red Letter Quilts’ OMG:  One Monthly Goal.

OMG button

Quilty 365 – March Linkup

Here are individual snaps for circles 46-60:

Plus a photo of all of February’s circles (I noticed I’ve turned some of them round to a different position in this photo, but the final decision on orientation will come much later in the piece!):

Quilty 365 - February 2016 circles

Quilty 365 – February 2016 circles

Linking up with Quilty 365 for the March Linkup 🙂

Quilty 365