I’ve spent the day playing today, at a surface design class organised by Christchurch Quilters, and I had such lovely fun! 🙂
Techniques we tried included sun printing; stencilling; stamping; mono printing with Gelli-plates; Shiva Sticks; and layering different techniques on top of each other. Our tutor was Catherine McDonald, a very talented quilter and textile artist (you can check out some of her work on her Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/malleetextiles/. Funnily enough, in another life Catherine used to be my manager at Christchurch City Council, and it was great catching up with her again.)
Because I was so interested (some might call it nosy …) in what others were doing, I wasn’t as prolific as some in my output at the end of the day, but I was still very happy with what I got to try and with my results. I’m definitely going to try some of the techniques again, and would love to be able to use the fabric in a quilt somewhere along the way.
Unfortunately the sun chose NOT to shine this morning when we were doing the sun printing, but we just laid all that work out on the floor in another room and turned the heater on, and still managed to produce some beautiful results 🙂 I think I enjoyed the Gelli-plate printing the most – found the Gelli-plate itself quite fascinating, but also enjoyed the mixing of paints and the different ways of designing patterns to be printed onto our fabric. The Shiva Sticks were interesting, and Catherine had some beautiful examples to show us of what can be done with rubbing these over stencils, embossed items, etc. I was tempted to try doing some hand prints, but resisted – although somehow I still managed to get quite bit of paint on my hands, despite wearing gloves – I think it was because I kept taking them off so I could feel what I was doing as well as see it! 🙂
Here’s a selection of photos from all the work displayed at the end of the day.
And after all that excitement today, tonight I can look forward to getting on with my current project: a stack’n’slash quilt on which I’m trying quilt as you go for the first time. So far things are going well, apart from a couple of slip-ups in the rearranging of the fabric after slash no. 3, and a mistake in cutting the first few backing blocks the same size as my batting block, instead of the same size as my top block – nothing major, thank goodness! I’ll take some photos tomorrow to share with you 🙂